- World Health Organization. WHO Housing and Health Guidelines. Geneva: World Health Organization 2018.
- O’Sullivan KC. Health Impacts of Energy Poverty and Cold Indoor Temperature. In: Nriagu J, ed. Elsevier Encyclopedia of Environmental Health. 2nd ed: Elsevier 2019:436-43.
- Hernández D. Understanding ‘energy insecurity’ and why it matters to health. Social Science & Medicine 2016;167:1-10. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.08.029
- Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment. Defining Energy Hardship: A discussion document on defining and measuring energy wellbeing and hardship in Aotearoa. Wellington: New Zealand Government, 2021.
- O'Sullivan KC. Becoming unable to afford adequate home heating is associated with increased risk of severe mental distress. Evidence Based Nursing 2023:ebnurs-2022-103668. doi: 10.1136/ebnurs-2022-103668
- Clair A, Baker E. Cold homes and mental health harm: Evidence from the UK Household Longitudinal Study. Social Science & Medicine 2022;314:115461. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2022.115461
- Awaworyi Churchill S, Smyth R, Farrell L. Fuel poverty and subjective wellbeing. Energy Economics 2020;86:104650. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2019.104650
- Davillas A, Burlinson A, Liu H-H. Getting warmer: Fuel poverty, objective and subjective health and well-being. Energy Economics 2022;106:105794. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2021.105794
- Bentley R, Daniel L, Li Y, et al. The effect of energy poverty on mental health, cardiovascular disease and respiratory health: a longitudinal analysis. The Lancet Regional Health - Western Pacific 2023:1-13. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lanwpc.2023.100734
- Harris Clark IK, Chun S, O’Sullivan KC, et al. Energy Poverty among Tertiary Students in Aotearoa New Zealand. Energies 2022;15(1):76.
- Shorter C, Crane J, Barnes P, et al. The cost of achieving healthy temperatures in children's bedrooms: Evidence from New Zealand. Energy Policy 2022;164:112861. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2022.112861
- Teariki MA, Tiatia R, O'Sullivan K, et al. Beyond home: Exploring energy poverty among youth in four diverse Pacific island states. Energy Research & Social Science 2020;70:101638. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2020.101638
- O'Sullivan KC, Howden-Chapman P, Sim D, et al. Cool? Young people investigate living in cold housing and fuel poverty. A mixed methods action research study. SSM - Population Health 2017;3:66-74. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2016.12.006
- O'Sullivan KC, Stanley J, Fougere G, et al. Heating practices and self-disconnection among electricity prepayment meter consumers in New Zealand: A follow-up survey. Utilities Policy 2016;41:139-47. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jup.2016.07.002
- O'Sullivan KC, Howden-Chapman PL, Fougere GM, et al. Empowered? Examining self-disconnection in a postal survey of electricity prepayment meter consumers in New Zealand. Energy Policy 2013;52:277-87. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2012.09.020
- Hyslop DR, Riggs L, Maré DC. Motu Working Paper 22-09: The impact of the 2018 Families Package Winter Energy Payment policy. In: Motu, ed. Motu Working Papers. Wellington: Motu, 2022:1-66.
- Plagmann M. Mould, occupants and house condition. Build. Wellington: BRANZ, 2019:58-59.
- Pierse N, Johnson E, Riggs L, et al. Healthy Homes Initiative: Three year outcomes evaluation. Wellington: Te Whatu Ora Health New Zealand, 2022.
- Arias D, Saxena S, Verguet S. Quantifying the global burden of mental disorders and their economic value. eClinicalMedicine 2022;54 doi: 10.1016/j.eclinm.2022.101675
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Public Health Expert Briefing
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.