- Lal A, Moodie M, Ashton T, Siahpush M, Swinburn B. Health care and lost productivity costs of overweight and obesity in New Zealand. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. 2012;36(6):550-6.
- Ministry of Health. New Zealand Health Survey: annual update of key findings 2012/13. Wellington: 2013.
- Craig E, Reddington A, Wicken A, Oben G, Simpson J. Child Poverty Monitor 2013 Technical Report. Dunedin: New Zealand Child & Youth Epidemiology Service, University of Otago, 2013.
- Walton M, Signal L. Childhood obesity and the food environment. In: Pearce J, Witten K, editors. Geographies of Obesity: Environmental understandings of the obesity epidemic. Aldershot: Ashgate; 2010.
- Carter M, Edwards R, Signal L, Hoek J. Availability and marketing of food and beverages to children through sports settings: a systematic review. Public Health Nutrition. 2011;2011 doi:10.1017/S136898001100320X.
- Harris JL, Pomeranz JL, Lobstein T, Brownell KD. A Crisis in the Marketplace: How Food Marketing Contributes to Childhood Obesity and What Can Be Done. Annual Review of Public Health. 2009;30(1):211-25.
- Swinburn B, Egger G, Raza F. Dissecting obesogenic environments: the development and application of a framework for identifying and prioritizing environmental interventions for obesity. Prev Med. 1999;29(6 Pt 1):563-70.
- Doak CM, Visscher TLS, Renders CM, Seidell JC. The prevention of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents: A review of interventions and programmes. Obesity Reviews. 2006(7):111‐36.
- Han JC, Lawlor DA, Kimm SY. Childhood obesity. Lancet. 2010(375):1737-48.
- Oude‐Luttikhuis H, Baur L, Jansen H, Shrewsbury VA, O’Malley C, Stolk RP, et al. Interventions for treating obesity in children:Review. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2009;1.
- Waters E, de Silva‐ Sanigorski A, Hall BJ, Campbell KJ, Gao Y, Armstrong R, et al. Interventions for preventing obesity in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2011;12.
- Wang LY, Denniston M, Lee S, Galuska D, Lowry R. Long‐term health and economic impact of preventing and reducing overweight and obesity in adolescence. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2010;46(5):467-73.
- World Health Organization. Global status report on non communicable disease 2010. Geneva: Switzerland: 2011.
- White J, Signal L. Evidence supporting traffic light nutrition labelling in submissions to the Australian and New Zealand Review of Food Labelling Law and Policy: The case is strong. Australia and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. 2012;36(5):446-51.
- Signal L, Lanumata T, Bowers S. Punching loan sharks on the nose: effective interventions to reduce financial hardship in New Zealand. Health Promot J Austr. 2012;23(2):108-11.
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Public Health Expert Briefing
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.