- Lowy Institute. Covid Performance Index 2021. Available from: https://interactives.lowyinstitute.org/features/covid-performance/
- Toole M. More than a dozen COVID leaks in 6 months: to protect Australians, it’s time to move quarantine out of city hotels. The Conversation 2021 (29 April). Available from: https://theconversation.com/more-than-a-dozen-covid-leaks-in-6-months-to-protect-australians-its-time-to-move-quarantine-out-of-city-hotels-159808.
- COVID research updates: 7 January — Evidence grows of a new coronavirus variant’s swift spread. Nature 2021 (8 January). Available from: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00502-w.
- Voysey M, Costa Clemens S, Madhi SA, et al. Single Dose Administration, And The Influence Of The Timing of The Booster Dose On Immunogenicity And Efficacy Of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (AZD1222) Vaccine. The Lancet (preprint posted 1 Feb 2021).
- Emary KRW, Golubchik T, Aley PK, et al. Efficacy of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (AZD1222) vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 variant of concern 202012/01 (B.1.1.7): an exploratory analysis of a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet 2021;397(10282):1351-62. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(21)00628-0
- Baden LR, El Sahly HM, Essink B, et al. Efficacy and Safety of the mRNA-1273 SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine. The New England Journal of Medicine 2021;384(5):403-16. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2035389
- Covid-19: Why Australia’s quarantine rules are changing. Radio New Zealand 2021. Available from: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/434278/covid-19-why-australia-s-quarantine-rules-are-changing.
- Morrah M. Revealed: The strict new coronavirus rules for New Zealand’s COVID-19 Defence Force staff. Newshub 2020 (25 November). Available from: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/11/revealed-the-strict-new-coronavirus-rules-for-new-zealand-s-covid-19-defence-force-staff.html.
- Premier of Victoria. A Stronger Quarantine Program To Protect What We’ve Built [press release]. 30 November 2020. Available from: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/stronger-quarantine-program-protect-what-weve-built2020.
- Cheng D. Watch: Covid Response Minister Chris Hipkins reveals travel ban for ‘very high risk countries’. NZ Herald 2021 (23 April). Available from: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/watch-covid-response-minister-chris-hipkins-reveals-travel-ban-for-very-high-risk-countries/ZRZAJIGZ6Q3OBWPX6C2ZB7BLPM/.
- Northern Territory Government. Mandatory supervised quarantine for repatriated Australians. 2020. Available from: https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/travel/quarantine/mandatory-supervised-quarantine-for-repatriated-australians accessed 12 January 2021.
- Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Government tightens restrictions and compulsory quarantine requirements for persons arriving at Hong Kong who have stayed in places outside China [press release]. 25 December 2020. Available from: https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202012/25/P2020122500012.htm.
- Visontay E. Day 16 test: Australian health experts weigh proposal for post-quarantine coronavirus check. The Guardian 2021 (7 February). https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/feb/07/day-16-test-health-experts-weigh-proposal-for-post-quarantine-coronavirus-check.
- Manfield E. WA coronavirus hotel quarantine security companies agree to ban on second jobs. ABC News 2021 (10 February). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-10/wa-hotel-quarantine-security-guards-to-end-second-jobs-next-week/13139172.
- McMah L. COVID quarantine: Huge problem with high-risk hotel program news.com.au 2020 (3 December). Available from: https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/covid-quarantine-huge-problem-with-highrisk-hotel-program/news-story/b60bdf6428d174932cadca6d736a687c.
- New South Wales Government. NSW hotel quarantine worker surveillance and testing program. (current as of 9 February 2021). https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Pages/saliva-testing.aspx.
- Zhang L, Tao Y, Zhuang G, et al. Characteristics Analysis and Implications on the COVID-19 Reopening of Victoria, Australia. The Innovation 2020;1(3):100049. doi: 10.1016/j.xinn.2020.100049
- Department of Health and Human Services State Government of Victoria. Tracking coronavirus in Victoria 2020; cited 2021. Available from: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/tracking-coronavirus-victoria.
- SA Health. COVID-19 update 22 December 2020 [press release]. 2020. Available from: https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/about+us/news+and+media/all+media+releases/covid-19+update+22+december+20202020.
- Board of Inquiry into the COVID-19 Hotel Quarantine Program. COVID-19 Hotel Quaranting Inquiry Final Report and Recommendations, Volume 1: Victorian Government Printer, 2020.
- Taylor J. Hotel quarantine linked to 99% of Victoria’s Covid cases, inquiry told. The Guardian 2020 (18 August). Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/aug/18/hotel-quarantine-linked-to-99-of-victorias-covid-cases-inquiry-told.
- Mercer P. Covid: Melbourne’s hard-won success after a marathon lockdown. BBC News 2020 (26 October). Available from: www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54654646.
- Covid-19 coronavirus: Officials still searching for the source of Sydney outbreak. NZ Herald 2020. Available from: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-coronavirus-officials-still-searching-for-source-of-sydney-outbreak/UCDN5SOFNOKFM232YTXG4AWDK4/.
- Lucas C. Stamford hotel blames government and guards for outbreak. The Age 2020 (2 July). Available from: https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/stamford-hotel-blames-government-and-guards-for-outbreak-20200702-p558e6.html.
- NSW coronavirus investigation after Sydney hotel quarantine security guard tests positive. ABC News 2020 (18 August). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-18/nsw-coronavirus-hotel-quarantine-security-guard-investigated/12570336.
- Aubusson K, Chung L. Australian health authorities racing to contain cluster as NSW records 14 new ccovid-19 cases. Stuff 2020 (29 August). Available from: https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/300094865/australian-health-authorities-racing-to-contain-cluster-as-nsw-records-14-new-covid19-cases.
- Tsirtsakis A. Is it time for an national approach to hotel quarantine? newsGP 2020. Available from: https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/is-it-time-for-a-national-approach-to-hotel-quaran.
- NSW Health. Covid-19 weekly surveillance in NSW: Epidemiological week 52, ending 26 December 2020. 2021. Available from: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/covid-19-surveillance-report-20201226.pdf2021.
- Lathouris O. Berala cluster: Syney COVID outbreak linked to BWS where two infected staff worked throughout Christmas. Nine News 2021. Available from: https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-nsw-update-berala-bws-cluster-not-linked-to-avalon-sydney-northern-beaches-covid19-strain-genomic-testing-finds/26e4bfd0-df34-42d6-852c-5ac774bc8a11.
- Queensland Health. Incident response set up following confirmation of Brisbane hotel cluster [press release]. 13 January 2021. Available from: https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-events/doh-media-releases/releases/incident-response-set-up-following-confirmation-of-brisbane-hotel-cluster2021.
- Quarantine hotel worker tests positive to coronavirus in Brisbane. ABC News 2021. Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-07/coronavirus-queensland-quarantine-hotel-worker-tests-positive/13034046.
- Queensland Government. Greater Brisbane 3-day lockdown. 2021. Available from: https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/current-status/greater-brisbane-lockdown.
- Hendrie D. Latest hotel quarantine leak proves ‘we’re not learning’. news GP 2021 (1 February). Available from: https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/latest-hotel-quarantine-leak-proves-we-re-not-lear.
- Woodley M. National Cabinet strengthens Australia’s border controls. news GP 2021 (8 January). Available from: https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/national-cabinet-strengthens-australia-s-border-co.
- No new local cases in Victoria, amid hotal quarantine leak. The New Daily 2021. Available from: https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronavirus/2021/02/05/hotel-quarantine-victoria-zero/.
- Estcourt D, Sakkal P. One in intensive care as Holiday Inn COVID-19 cluster grows to 22. The Age 2021 (19 February). Available from: https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/three-new-covid-19-cases-linked-to-holiday-inn-cluster-emerge-20210219-p573wq.html.
- Motherwell S. How two clusters from one hospital triggered the Brisbane lockdown. ABC News 2021 (30 March). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-30/brisbane-lockdown-clusters-coronavirus-explained-pa-hospital/100037608.
- Queensland Health. Historic case linked to Brisbane COVID-19 cluster [press release]. 11 April 2021. Available from: https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-events/doh-media-releases/releases/historic-case-linked-to-brisbane-covid-19-cluster accessed 22 April 2021 Access 2021.
- Queensland Health. Brisbane COVID-19 clusters explained [press release]. 30 March 2021. Available from: https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-events/doh-media-releases/releases/brisbane-covid-19-clusters-explained accessed 22 April 2021 Access 2021.
- Kontominas B. NSW quarantine hotel worker tests positive to coronavirus. ABC News 2021 (14 March). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-14/nsw-records-one-new-covid-19-case-in-hotel-quarantine-worker/13246856.
- McNeill H, de Kruijff P. Perth plunged into three-day lockdown over Mercure Hotel cluster. WA Today 2021 (23 April). Available from: https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/perth-plunged-into-lockdown-over-mercure-hotel-cluster-20210423-p57lwb.html.
- Perth lockdown: WA premier wants designated quarantine facilities. Radio New Zealand 2021 (24 April). Available from: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/441176/perth-lockdown-wa-premier-wants-designated-quarantine-facilities.
- Covid-19: ‘Low’ risk to NZ from Perth case – Health Ministry. Radio New Zealand 2021 (24 April). Available from: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/441154/covid-19-low-risk-to-nz-from-perth-case-health-ministry.
- NSW records no new COVID-19 cases in community, ahead of NZ travel bubble decision. 1 News 2021 (8 May). Available from: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/world/nsw-records-no-new-covid-19-cases-in-community-ahead-nz-travel-bubble-decision.
- Cheng D. Covid 19 coronavirus: Thousands of travellers’ plans disrupted as flights from NSW paused for 48 hours. NZ Herald 2021 (7 May). Available from: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-coronavirus-thousands-of-travellers-plans-disrupted-as-flights-from-nsw-paused-for-48-hours/VHG4T2FY5IUZVPND7GYZJMALVE/.
- Victoria records COVID-19 case at Wollert, north of Melbourne, after man leaves SA hotel quarantine. ABC News. 2021 (11 May). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-11/victoria-covid-19-case-man-north-of-melbourne/100131038.
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Public Health Expert Briefing
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.