- He FJ, Li J, Macgregor GA: Effect of longer term modest salt reduction on blood pressure: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials. BMJ 2013, 346:f1325.
- Law MR, Morris JK, Wald NJ: Use of blood pressure lowering drugs in the prevention of cardiovascular disease: meta-analysis of 147 randomised trials in the context of expectations from prospective epidemiological studies. BMJ 2009, 338:b1665.
- Cook NR, Cutler JA, Obarzanek E, Buring JE, Rexrode KM, Kumanyika SK, Appel LJ, Whelton PK: Long term effects of dietary sodium reduction on cardiovascular disease outcomes: observational follow-up of the trials of hypertension prevention (TOHP). BMJ 2007, 334(7599):885-888.
- Cook NR, Appel LJ, Whelton PK: Lower levels of sodium intake and reduced cardiovascular risk. Circulation 2014, 129(9):981-989.
- Cook NR, Obarzanek E, Cutler JA, Buring JE, Rexrode KM, Kumanyika SK, Appel LJ, Whelton PK, Trials of Hypertension Prevention Collaborative Research G: Joint effects of sodium and potassium intake on subsequent cardiovascular disease: the Trials of Hypertension Prevention follow-up study. Archives of Internal Medicine 2009, 169(1):32-40.
- Ji C, Sykes L, Paul C, Dary O, Legetic B, Campbell NR, Cappuccio FP: Systematic review of studies comparing 24-hour and spot urine collections for estimating population salt intake. Pan American Journal of Public Health 2012, 32(4):307-315.
- Li N, Yan LL, Niu W, Labarthe D, Feng X, Shi J, Zhang J, Zhang R, Zhang Y, Chu H et al: A large-scale cluster randomized trial to determine the effects of community-based dietary sodium reduction–the China Rural Health Initiative Sodium Reduction Study. American Heart Journal 2013, 166(5):815-822.
- Peng Y-G, Li W, Wen X-X, Li Y, Hu J-H, Zhao L-C: Effects of salt substitutes on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials1-3. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2014, [E-publication 15 October].
- Pietinen P, Valsta LM, Hirvonen T, Sinkko H: Labelling the salt content in foods: a useful tool in reducing sodium intake in Finland. Public Health Nutr 2008, 11(4):335-340.
- He FJ, Brinsden HC, Macgregor GA: Salt reduction in the United Kingdom: a successful experiment in public health. J Hum Hypertens [E-publication 31 October] 2013.
- Young L, Swinburn B: Impact of the Pick the Tick food information programme on the salt content of food in New Zealand. Health Promotion International 2002, 17(1):13-19.
- Heart Foundation: Case study 3: Unilever. http://www.heartfoundation.org.nz/programmes-resources/food-industry-and-hospitality/heartsafe/case-studies-resources/case-studies/case-study-3-unilever
- European Commission: Survey on members states implementation of the EU salt reduction framework: Directorate-General Health and Consumers 2012. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/health/nutrition_physical_activity/docs/salt_report1_en.pdf
- Hofman K, Tollman S: Population health in South Africa: a view from the salt mines. Lancet Global Health 2013, 1:e66-67.
- NHMRC/MoH: Nutrient Reference Values for Australia and New Zealand. Canberra, ACT: National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC); New Zealand Ministry of Health (MoH), 2006. http://www.nhmrc.gov.au; http://www.moh.govt.nz/publications
- Lim SS, Vos T, Flaxman AD, Danaei G, Shibuya K, Adair-Rohani H, Amann M, Anderson HR, Andrews KG, Aryee M et al: A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 2012, 380(9859):2224-2260.
- WHO: Guideline: Sodium intake for adults and children. Geneva, World Health Organization (WHO). http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/guidelines/sodium_intake_printversion.pdf
- Mozaffarian D, Fahimi S, Singh GM, Micha R, Khatibzadeh S, Engell RE, Lim S, Danaei G, Ezzati M, Powles J et al: Global sodium consumption and death from cardiovascular causes. The New England Journal of Medicine 2014, 371(7):624-634.
- Institute of Medicine: Sodium Intake in Populations: Assessment of Evidence. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2013. http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=18311;
- McLean R, Williams S, Mann J, Parnell W: How much salt are we eating? Estimates of New Zealand population sodium from the 2008/2009 Adult Nutrition Survey [Presentation on 2 December 2011]. Joint Annual Scientific Meeting of the Australian and New Zealand Nutrition Societies. Queenstown, New Zealand (29 November – 2 Dec
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.