- New Zealand Law Commission. Alcohol in our lives curbing the harm: a report on the review of the regulatory framework for the sale and supply of liquor. Wellington (NZL): New Zealand Law Commission;2010. Accessed 14 May 2021. http://www.lawcom.govt.nz/sites/default/files/projectAvailableFormats/NZLC%20R114.pdf.
- Ministry of Health. Ministerial Forum on Alcohol Advertising and Sponsorship: recommendations on alcohol advertising and sponsorship. Wellington (NZL): Ministry of Health;2014. Accessed 14 May 2021. http://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/ministerial-forum-on-alcohol-advertising-and-sponsorship-recommendations-on-alcohol-advertising-and-sponsorship-dec14.pdf.
- Government Inquiry into Mental Health and Addiction. He Ara Oranga: Report of the Government Inquiry into Mental Health and Addiction. Wellington (NZL)2018. Accessed 18 May 2021. https://mentalhealth.inquiry.govt.nz/assets/Summary-reports/He-Ara-Oranga.pdf.
- World Health Organization. SAFER: A world free from alcohol related harms. Geneva (CHE): World Health Organization;2018. Accessed 14 May 2021. https://www.who.int/substance_abuse/safer/msb_safer_brochure.pdf?ua=1.
- Sport New Zealand. Who we are and what we do. Online: Sport New Zealand;2021. Accessed 18 May 2021. https://sportnz.org.nz/about/who-we-are/.
- Connor J, Kydd R, Shield K, Rehm J. The burden of disease and injury attributable to alcohol in New Zealanders under 80 years of age: marked disparities by ethnicity and sex. New Zealand Medical Journal. 2015;128(1409):15-28.
- Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. Global burden of disease study (GBD 2019), New Zealand. Online: Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, 2020. Accessed 18 May 2021. http://www.healthdata.org/gbd
- Nana G. Alcohol costs: But who pays? Paper presented at: Alcohol Action Conference 2018: Who should pay for all the harm from alcohol2018; Wellington, New Zealand.
- The Treasury. Tax Outturn Data – March 2021: Monthly History. Online: The Treasury;2021. Accessed 19 May 2021. https://www.treasury.govt.nz/publications/tax-outturn-data/tax-outturn-data-march-2021.
- Ratu R. Regulation urgently needed to protect Māori from alcohol advertising. New Zealand Medical Journal. 2019. https://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/read-the-journal/all-issues/2010-2019/2019/vol-132-no-1500-16-august-2019/7969.
- Ministry of Justice. Wai 2575—The Health Services and Outcomes Inquiry. Wellington (NZL): Ministry of Justice; (n.d.). Accessed 18 May 2021. https://www.waitangitribunal.govt.nz/inquiries/kaupapa-inquiries/health-services-and-outcomes-inquiry/.
- Chambers T, Signal L, Carter M-A, McConville S, Wong R, Zhu W. Alcohol sponsorship of a summer of sport: a frequency analysis of alcohol marketing during major sports events on New Zealand television. New Zealand Medical Journal. 2017;130.
- Harvey B, Gray S, Despain G. Measuring the effectiveness of true sponsorship. Journal of Advertising Research. 2006;46(4):398-409. https://doi.org/10.2501/S0021849906060478
- Carah N, Brodmerkel S. Alcohol marketing in the era of digital media platforms. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. 2021;82(1):18-27. https://doi.org/10.15288/jsad.2021.82.18
- Carter M-A, Signal L, Edwards R, Hoek J, Maher A. Food, fizzy, and football: promoting unhealthy food and beverages through sport-a New Zealand case study. BMC Public Health. 2013;13(1):1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-126
- Brown K. Association between alcohol sports sponsorship and consumption: A systematic review. Alcohol and Alcoholism. 2016;51(6):747-755. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agw006
- Cockburn R, Atkinson L. Respect and Responsibility Review. . Wellinton (NZL): New Zealand Rugby;2017. Accessed 18 May 2021. https://www.nzrugby.co.nz/assets/NZR-RRR-Summary-Document.pdf.
- Sargent JD, Babor TF. The relationship between exposure to alcohol marketing and underage drinking is causal. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, Supplement. 2020(s19):113-124. https://doi.org/10.15288/jsads.2020.s19.113
- Chambers T, Stanley J, Signal L, Pearson AL, Smith M, Barr M et al. Quantifying the nature and extent of children’s real-time exposure to alcohol marketing in their everyday lives using wearable cameras: Children’s exposure via a range of media in a range of key places. Alcohol and Alcoholism. 2018;53(5):626-633. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agy053
- Advertising Standards Authority. Alcohol Advertising and Promotion Code. Online: Advertising Standards Authority; 2021. Accessed 18 May 2021. https://www.asa.co.nz/codes/codes/alcohol-advertising-and-promotion-code/.
- Health Promotion Agency. Public attitudes on policy interventions to reduce alcohol harm: Results from the 2019/20 Alcohol Use in New Zealand Survey. Wellington (NZL): Health Promotion Agency; 2021. Accessed 18 May 2021. https://www.hpa.org.nz/research-library/research-publications/public-attitudes-on-policy-interventions-to-reduce-alcohol-harm-results-from-the-2019-20-alcohol-use.
- Sport New Zealand. An estimation of the value of alcohol sponsorship in New Zealand. Wellington (NZL): Sport New Zealand;2015. Accessed.
- World Health Organization. Tobacco-free sports: play it clean. Geneva (CHE): World Health Organization;2002. Accessed 14 May 2021. https://www.who.int/tobacco/resources/publications/wntd/2002/en/web_version.pdf
- Yang Y, Goldfarb A. Banning controversial sponsors: Understanding equilibrium outcomes when sports sponsorships are viewed as two-sided matches. Journal of Marketing Research. 2015;52(5):593-615. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.14.0225
- Deloitte. Sponsoring sports in today’s digital age. 2019. Accessed 14 May 2021. https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/lu/Documents/sports-consulting/lu-sponsoring-sports-today-digital-age.pdf.
- Alcohol Healthwatch. Submission to the Tax Working Group on the background paper – Future of Tax Auckland (NZL): Alcohol Healthwatch; 2018. Accessed 14 May 2021. https://taxworkinggroup.govt.nz/sites/default/files/2018-09/twg-subm-3983360-alcohol-health-watch.pdf.
- The Oireachtas. Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018. Ireland2018. Accessed 18 May 2021. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/act/24/enacted/en/html.
- Ministry of Sport. 150 Western Australian Country Football Clubs To Receive Mental Health Support. Perth (AUS): Ministry of Sport;2019. Accessed 18 May 2021. https://ministryofsport.com.au/150-western-australian-country-football-clubs-to-receive-mental-health-support/.
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Public Health Expert Briefing
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.