- Malone U. How the potentially ‘inexcusable’ actions fo a limo driver put Sydney on COVID-19 alert. ABC News. 2021 (18 June). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-17/nsw-quarantine-worker-may-have-breached-health-order/100223120.
- NSW Health. Public health alert – COVID-19 case [press release]; 16 June 2021. Available from: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/Pages/20210616_01.aspx.
- NSW Health. Public health alert – new case and additional venues [press release]; 16 June 2021. Available from: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/Pages/20210616_04.aspx.
- NSW adds more exposure sites in alarming outbreak as infected limo driver investigated. The New Daily. 2021 (18 June). Available from: https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronavirus/2021/06/18/coronavirus-nsw-restrictions-2/.
- Taylor J. NSW Covid outbreak: three new Sydney cases of ‘near and present danger’ Delta variant recorded. The Guardian. 2021 (19 June). Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jun/19/new-south-wales-records-three-new-covid-cases-as-mandatory-masks-introduced.
- Greater Sydney’s two-week lockdown – this is what you need to know about the new restrictions in the capital and around NSW. ABC News. 2021 (26 June). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-26/nsw-covid-19-lockdown-rules-explained/100246644.
- Hosking M. Calls for rules to be tightened for greater Sydney. NewstalkZB. 2021 (12 July). Available from: https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air/mike-hosking-breakfast/audio/tony-blakely-sydney-lockdown-rules-arent-strict-enough/.
- Chang C. NSW trying to control Covid-19 in Greater Sydney with measures that didn’t work in Melbourne. newscomau. 2021 (29 July). Available from: https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/nsw-trying-to-control-covid19-in-greater-sydney-with-measures-that-didnt-work-in-melbourne/news-story/f0fe731dba1a105bd0b6ee789eb23b89.
- Covid 19 coronavirus: NSW braces for cases as graph shows severity of Sydney outbreak. New Zealand Herald. 2021 (11 July). Available from: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-coronavirus-nsw-braces-for-cases-as-graph-shows-severity-of-sydney-outbreak/NYTOXWXVRRWEIGEFWVVPMMKQNE/.
- Kurmelovs R. NSW Covid outbreak: death toll rises as two-thirds of 210 new cases under 40. The Guardian. 2021 (31 July). Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jul/31/nsw-covid-outbreak-death-toll-rises-as-two-thirds-of-new-cases-under-40.
- Nguyen K, Raper A. NSW government to extend Greater Sydney COVID-19 lockdown by another four weeks. ABC News. 2021 (27 July). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-27/nsw-premier-to-announce-greater-sydney-lockdown-extension/100328276.
- Ritchie H, Ortiz-Ospina E, Beltekian D, Mathieu E, Hasell J, Macdonald B, et al. Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19). Our World in Data [online resource]. 2020. Available from: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus.
- Ministry of Health/Manatū Hauora. COVID-19: Case demographics. 2021. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-case-demographics.
- covid19data.com.au. Cases: States and Territories. 2021. Available from: https://www.covid19data.com.au/states-and-territories.
- Statistics New Zealand/Tatauranga Aotearoa. Estimated population of NZ. 2021. Available from: https://www.stats.govt.nz/indicators/population-of-nz.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. National, state and territory population. 2020; Updated 17 June 2021. Available from: https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/people/population/national-state-and-territory-population/latest-release#states-and-territories.
- Kvalsvig A, Wilson N, Davies C, Timu-Parata C, Signal V, Baker MG. Expansion of a national Covid-19 alert level system to improve population health and uphold the values of Indigenous peoples. Lancet Reg Health West Pac. 2021 Jul;12:100206.
- NSW Government. COVID-19. 2021. Available from: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19.
- Hanrahan C, Nguyen K. What 6 million vaccinations will mean for Greater Sydney’s COVID lockdown. ABC News. 2021 (4 August). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-04/nsw-on-track-to-administer-6-million-covid-19-jabs-in-august/100346682.
- Ministry of Health/Manatū Hauora. COVID-19: Vaccine data. 2021. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-vaccine-data.
- covid19data.com.au. COVID-19 Vaccinations in Australia. 2021. Available from: https://www.covid19data.com.au/vaccines.
- McGowan M, Zhou N. Outbreaks sweep nation as NSW reports 30 new infections, and Perth, NT and Qld record local cases. The Guardian. 2021 (27 June). Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jun/27/sydney-covid-cluster-nsw-records-30-new-cases-as-vaccination-hub-identified-as-exposure-site.
- Davey M. Sydney Covid Delta variant outbreak ‘an epidemic of young people’. The Guardian. 2021 (4 August). Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/aug/05/sydney-covid-delta-variant-outbreak-an-epidemic-of-young-people.
- Delta variant creates new ‘double whammy’ Covid-19 danger for Australia. Radio New Zealand. 2021 (3 August). Available from: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/448361/delta-variant-creates-new-double-whammy-covid-19-danger-for-australia.
- Australia Covid: Anti-lockdown protesters condemned. BBC News. 2021 (25 July). Available from: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57960044.
- Kontominas B. NSW records 207 COVID-19 cses; Liverpool man becomes 15th death from outbreak. ABC News. 2021 (2 August). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-02/nsw-records-207-covid-cases/100341664.
- State deploys rural and rapid response vaccination teams to Lawrence, Macon and Fulton counties. MyRadioLink. 2021 (6 May). Available from: https://www.myradiolink.com/2021/05/06/state-deploys-rural-and-rapid-response-vaccination-teams-to-lawrence-macon-and-fulton-counties/.
- First Nations Health Authority. Indigenous People are a High Priority to Receive COVID-19 Vaccinations. 2021; Updated: 15 April 2021. Available from: https://www.fnha.ca/about/news-and-events/news/indigenous-people-are-a-high-priority-to-receive-covid-19-vaccinations.
- Australian Department of Health. Information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples about COVID-19 vaccines. 2021; Updated: 30 July 2021. Available from: https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/getting-vaccinated-for-covid-19/covid-19-vaccines-indigenous.
- Cheng D. Still thousands of border workers unvaccinated and overdue for Covid test. New Zealand Herald. 2021 (9 August). Available from: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/still-thousands-of-border-workers-unvaccinated-and-overdue-for-covid-test/G3XYJOVU5JZNK544NGXW2NMXLQ/.
- NSW Government. 2021 COVID-19 Support Package. 2021; Updated: 6 August 2021. Available from: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/2021-covid-19-support-package.
- Boseley M. Sydney police fine hundreds of anti-lockdown protesters for ‘filthy, risky behaviour’. The Guardian. 2021 (25 July). Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/25/covid-sydney-police-punish-anti-lockdown-protesters.
- Choi K, Giridharan N, Cartmell A, Lum D, Signal L, Puloka V, et al. Life during lockdown: a qualitative study of low-income New Zealanders’ experience during the COVID-19 pandemic. N Z Med J. 2021;134(1538):52-67.
- Baker MG, Wilson N, Blakely T. Elimination could be the optimal response strategy for covid-19 and other emerging pandemic diseases. BMJ. 2020;371:m4907.
- Oliu-Barton M, Pradelski BSR, Aghion P, Artus P, Kickbusch I, Lazarus JV, et al. SARS-CoV-2 elimination, not mitigation, creates best outcomes for health, the economy, and civil liberties. Lancet. 2021;397(10291):2234-6.
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Public Health Expert Briefing
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.