- Baker M, Kvalsvig A, Verrall A, Telfar-Barnard L, Wilson N. New Zealand’s elimination strategy for the COVID-19 pandemic and what is required to make it work. N Z Med J 2020;133(1512):10-14.
- Baker MG, Wilson N, Anglemyer A. Successful elimination of Covid-19 transmission in New Zealand. N Engl J Med 2020;(7 August) doi:101056/NEJMc2025203 https://wwwnejmorg/doi/101056/NEJMc2025203?url_ver=Z3988-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossreforg&rfr_dat=cr_pub%20%200pubmed
- Worldometers. COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic. Worldometers (22 November 2020 data). https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/.
- OECD. Quarterly GDP (indicator). doi: 10.1787/b86d1fc8-en. https://data.oecd.org/gdp/quarterly-gdp.htm (Accessed on 22 November 2020)
- The Treasury. Pre-election economic and fiscal update. Wellington, New Zealand, 2020 (16 September). https://www.treasury.govt.nz/publications/efu/pre-election-economic-and-fiscal-update-2020-html.
- International Monetary Fund. World Economic Outlook Database. (October 2020). https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WEO/weo-database/2020/October/download-entire-database.
- OECD. Unemployment rate (indicator). doi: 10.1787/52570002-en (Accessed on 22 November 2020). https://data.oecd.org/unemp/unemployment-rate.htm.
- Marois G, Muttarak R, Scherbov S. Assessing the potential impact of COVID-19 on life expectancy. PLoS One 2020;15:e0238678. (Table S1).
- Wilson N, Mizdrak A, Summers J, Baker M. Weekly deaths declined in NZ’s lockdown – but we still don’t know exactly why. Public Health Expert (Blog). 2020;(10 July). https://blogs.otago.ac.nz/pubhealthexpert/2020/07/10/weekly-deaths-declined-in-nzs-lockdown-but-we-still-dont-know-exactly-why/.
- Huang QS, Wood T, Jelley L, et al. Impact of the COVID-19 nonpharmaceutical interventions on influenza and other respiratory viral infections in New Zealand. medRxiv 2020.
- Greenhalgh T, Knight M, A’Court C, Buxton M, Husain L. Management of post-acute covid-19 in primary care. BMJ 2020;370:m3026.
- Every-Palmer S, Jenkins M, Gendall P, Hoek J, Beaglehole B, Bell C, Williman J, Rapsey C, Stanley J. Psychological distress, anxiety, family violence, suicidality, and wellbeing in New Zealand during the COVID-19 lockdown: A cross-sectional study. PLoS One 2020;15:e0241658.
- Nicolson MN, Flett JA. The mental wellbeing of New Zealanders during and post-lockdown. N Z Med J 2020;133:110-12.
- Boyle L, Boyle A, Jay S, Marnewick J. COVID-19 lockdown impact on common general surgical acute presentations to a regional centre in New Zealand. N Z Med J;133(1525):96-105.
- Wong B, El-Jack S, Armstrong G. Pandemic control: getting to the heart of unintended consequences. N Z Med J 2020;133:153-56.
- Nghiem N, Mizdrak A, Wilson N. Increased unemployment from the COVID-19 pandemic, what might be the adverse impacts on cardiovascular disease in Aotearoa/New Zealand and how might this be prevented? N Z Med J 2020;133(1526):89-98. https://www.nzma.org.nz/journal-articles/increased-unemployment-from-the-covid-19-pandemic-what-might-be-the-adverse-impacts-on-cardiovascular-disease-in-aotearoa-new-zealand-and-how-might-this-be-prevented
- Hale T, Webster S, Petherick A, Phillips T, Kira B. Oxford COVID-19 Government Response Tracker. Blavatnik School of Government. 2020;https://covidtracker.bsg.ox.ac.uk/.
- Statistics New Zealand. Economic data: Consumer confidence (ANZ-Roy Morgan consumer confidence): October 2020. https://www.stats.govt.nz/experimental/covid-19-data-portal.
- Pullar-Strecker T. ASB picks OCR to stay put until 2023, as Westpac trims its forecast cut. Stuff 2020;(2 December). https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123564536/asb-picks-ocr-to-stay-put-until-2023-as-westpac-trims-its-forecast-cut.
- Taiwan CDC. COVID-19 (2019-nCoV). https://sites.google.com/cdc.gov.tw/2019-ncov/taiwan.
- Summers J, Lin H-H, Cheng H-Y, Telfar Barnard L, Kvalsvig A, Wilson N, Baker M. Potential lessons from the Taiwan and New Zealand health responses to the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet Regional Health Western Paciﬁc 2020;https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lanwpc.2020.100044.
- Wilson N, Grout L, Kvalsvig A, Baker M. Time to Stop Dodging Bullets? NZ’s Eight Recent Border Control Failures. Public Health Expert (Blog) 2020;(16 November). https://blogs.otago.ac.nz/pubhealthexpert/2020/11/16/time-to-stop-dodging-bullets-nzs-eight-recent-border-control-failures/.
- Cheng D. Covid 19 coronavirus: Chafing under the rules – 76 bubble breaches in four months. N Z Herald 2020;(28 November). https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-coronavirus-chafing-under-the-rules-76-bubble-breaches-in-four-months/5WLODXO7S4SBCZY7UWBWKSZOUI/.
- Wilson N, Baker M. New Zealand needs a ‘traffic light’ system to stop COVID-19 creeping in at the border. The Conversation 2020;(4 November). https://theconversation.com/new-zealand-needs-a-traffic-light-system-to-stop-covid-19-creeping-in-at-the-border-149262.
- Lowrey A. America Failed at COVID-19, but the Economy’s Okay. Why? The Atlantic 2020;(27 November). https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/11/america-failed-covid-economys-ok-why/617223/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-intl-en.
- Boyd M, Baker MG, Nelson C, Wilson N. The 2019 Global Health Security Index (GHSI) and its implications for New Zealand and Pacific regional health security. N Z Med J 2020;133:83-92.
- Scudellari M. How Iceland hammered COVID with science. Nature 2020;587:536-39.
- Gray B. Bioethicists, Scientists and Politicians; Decision Making in a Pandemic. Public Health Expert (Blog) 2020;(1 December). https://blogs.otago.ac.nz/pubhealthexpert/2020/12/01/bioethicists-scientists-and-politicians-decision-making-in-a-pandemic/.
- Wilson N, Telfar Barnard L, Summers J, Shanks G, Baker M. Differential mortality by ethnicity in 3 influenza pandemics over a century, New Zealand. Emerg Infect Dis 2012;18:71-77.
- Wilson N, Mansoor O, Baker M. The first analytic evidence for socio-economic gradients in 1918 pandemic influenza mortality rates for New Zealand. N Z Med J 2018 131(1486):50-53.
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.