- Schullehner J, Hansen B, Thygesen M, Pedersen CB, Sigsgaard T. Nitrate in drinking water and colorectal cancer risk: A nationwide population‐based cohort study. International Journal of Cancer. 2018;143(1):73-79. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.31306
- Espejo‐Herrera N, Gràcia‐Lavedan E, Boldo E, Aragonés N, Pérez‐Gómez B, Pollán M et al. Colorectal cancer risk and nitrate exposure through drinking water and diet. International Journal of Cancer 2016;139(2):334-346. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.30083
- De Roos AJ, Ward MH, Lynch CF, Cantor KP. Nitrate in public water supplies and the risk of colon and rectum cancers. Epidemiology. 2003;14(6):640-649. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3703422.
- Coffman VR, Jensen AS, Trabjerg BB, Pedersen CB, Hansen B, Sigsgaard T et al. Prenatal exposure to nitrate from drinking water and markers of fetal growth restriction: A population-based study of nearly one million Danish-born children. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2021;129(2):027002. https://doi.org/10.1289/EHP7331
- Sherris Allison R, Baiocchi M, Fendorf S, Luby Stephen P, Yang W, Shaw Gary M. Nitrate in Drinking Water during Pregnancy and Spontaneous Preterm Birth: A Retrospective Within-Mother Analysis in California. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2021;129(5):057001. https://doi.org/10.1289/EHP8205
- Huber JC, Brender JD, Zheng Q, Sharkey JR, Vuong AM, Shinde MU et al. Maternal dietary intake of nitrates, nitrites and nitrosamines and selected birth defects in offspring: a case-control study. Nutrition Journal. 2013;12(1):1-10. http://www.nutritionj.com/content/12/1/34.
- Blaisdell J, Turyk ME, Almberg KS, Jones RM, Stayner LT. Prenatal exposure to nitrate in drinking water and the risk of congenital anomalies. Environmental Research. 2019;176:108553. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2019.108553
- Croen LA, Todoroff K, Shaw GM. Maternal Exposure to Nitrate from Drinking Water and Diet and Risk for Neural Tube Defects. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2001;153(4):325-331. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/153.4.325
- Stayner LT, Almberg K, Jones R, Graber J, Pedersen M, Turyk M. Atrazine and nitrate in drinking water and the risk of preterm delivery and low birth weight in four Midwestern states. Environmental Research. 2017;152:294-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2016.10.022
- Migeot V, Albouy-Llaty M, Carles C, Limousi F, Strezlec S, Dupuis A et al. Drinking-water exposure to a mixture of nitrate and low-dose atrazine metabolites and small-for-gestational age (SGA) babies: A historic cohort study. Environmental Research. 2013;122:58-64. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2012.12.007
- Dench WE, Morgan LK. Unintended consequences to groundwater from improved irrigation efficiency: Lessons from the Hinds-Rangitata Plain, New Zealand. Agricultural Water Management. 2021;245:106530. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2020.106530
- OECD. Low birthweight infants, 2017 and change 2000-17 (or nearest year). Paris (FRE): OECD;2019. Accessed 14 Apr 2021. https://doi.org/10.1787/05f574bc-en.
- Barry KH, Jones RR, Cantor KP, Beane Freeman LE, Wheeler DC, Baris D et al. Ingested Nitrate and Nitrite and Bladder Cancer in Northern New England. Epidemiology. 2020;31(1). https://journals.lww.com/epidem/Fulltext/2020/01000/Ingested_Nitrate_and_Nitrite_and_Bladder_Cancer_in.16.aspx.
- Berry MJ, Foster T, Rowe K, Robertson O, Robson B, Pierse N. Gestational age, health, and educational outcomes in adolescents. Pediatrics. 2018;142(5).
- Waitzman NJ, Jalali A, Grosse SD. Preterm birth lifetime costs in the United States in 2016: An update. Seminars in Perinatology. 2021;45(3):151390. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semperi.2021.151390
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. Ingested nitrate and nitrite, and cyanobacterial peptide toxins. Lyon (FRA)2010. Accessed 25 Feb 2021. https://publications.iarc.fr/_publications/media/download/2867/c9f9c85d6dd616d774bdbbe67bae77bddeb1b4de.pdf.
- Weyer PJ, Cerhan JR, Kross BC, Hallberg GR, Kantamneni J, Breuer G et al. Municipal drinking water nitrate level and cancer risk in older women: the Iowa Women’s Health Study. Epidemiology. 2001;12(3):327-338. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3703710.
- Chang C-C, Chen C-C, Wu D-C, Yang C-Y. Nitrates in Drinking Water and the Risk of Death from Rectal Cancer: Does Hardness in Drinking Water Matter? Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A. 2010;73(19):1337-1347. https://doi.org/10.1080/15287394.2010.490178
- Chen K, Yu W, Ma X, Yao K, Jiang Q. The association between drinking water source and colorectal cancer incidence in Jiashan County of China: a prospective cohort study. The European Journal of Public Health. 2005;15(6):652-656.
- Chiu H-F, Tsai S-S, Wu T-N, Yang C-Y. Colon cancer and content of nitrates and magnesium in drinking water. Magnesium Research. 2010;23(2):81-89.
- Yang C-Y, Wu D-C, Chang C-C. Nitrate in drinking water and risk of death from colon cancer in Taiwan. Environment International. 2007;33(5):649-653. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2007.01.009
- McElroy JA, Trentham-Dietz A, Gangnon RE, Hampton JM, Bersch AJ, Kanarek MS et al. Nitrogen-nitrate exposure from drinking water and colorectal cancer risk for rural women in Wisconsin, USA. Journal of Water and Health. 2008;6(3):399-409. https://doi.org/10.2166/wh.2008.048
- Fathmawati, Fachiroh J, Gravitiani E, Sarto, Husodo AH. Nitrate in drinking water and risk of colorectal cancer in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A. 2017;80(2):120-128. https://doi.org/10.1080/15287394.2016.1260508
- Jones RR, DellaValle CT, Weyer PJ, Robien K, Cantor KP, Krasner S et al. Ingested nitrate, disinfection by-products, and risk of colon and rectal cancers in the Iowa Women’s Health Study cohort. Environment International. 2019;126:242-251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2019.02.010
- Taneja P, Labhasetwar P, Nagarnaik P, Ensink JHJ. The risk of cancer as a result of elevated levels of nitrate in drinking water and vegetables in Central India. Journal of Water and Health. 2017;15(4):602-614. https://doi.org/10.2166/wh.2017.283
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Public Health Expert Briefing
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.