- Chaiton M, Mercredy G, Cohen JE. Tobacco retail availability and risk of relapse among smokers who make a quit attempt: a population-based cohort study. Tob Control 2017;0(1-7)
- Hoek J, Gifford H, Pirikahu G, et al. How do tobacco retail displays affect cessation attempts? Findings from a qualitative study. Tob Control 2010;19(4):334.
- Marsh L, Doscher C, Robertson LA. Characteristics of tobacco retailers in New Zealand. Health Place 2013;23:165-70. doi: 10.1016/j.healthplace.2013.07.003
- Pearson AL, Cleghorn CL, van der Deen FS, et al. Tobacco retail outlet restrictions: health and cost impacts from multistate life-table modelling in a national population. Tob Control 2016;(E-publication 22 September) doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2015-052846 [published Online First: 2016/09/24]
- Pearson AL, van der Deen FS, Wilson N, et al. Theoretical impacts of a range of major tobacco retail outlet reduction interventions: modelling results in a country with a smoke-free nation goal. Tob Control 2015;24(e1):e32-8. doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051362 [published Online First: 2014/07/20]
- Petrović-van der Deen FS, Blakely T, Kvizhinadze G, et al. Restricting tobacco sales to only pharmacies combined with cessation advice: a modelling study of the future smoking prevalence, health and cost impacts. Tob Control 2018;(E-publication 9 November) doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2018-054600 [published Online First: 2018/11/11]
- World Health Organization. Hungary – New regulation of tobacco sales introduced. 2013;(April). http://www.who.int/fctc/implementation/news/news_hung/en/.
- van Lier B, de kanter W. NETHERLANDS: Move to phase out tobacco sales in supermarkets and petrol stations. Tob Control 2020;29:247. https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/29/3/247.
- Bowden JA, Dono J, John DL, et al. What happens when the price of a tobacco retailer licence increases? Tob Control 2014;23(2):178-80. doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2012-050615 [published Online First: 2013/06/21]
- van der Eijk Y, Chen JI. Case for raising the minimum legal age of tobacco sale to 25. Tob Control 2021 doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2020-055964 [published Online First: 2021/01/09]
- Petrovic-van der Deen FS, Wilson N. Restricting tobacco sales to only pharmacies as an endgame strategy: are pharmacies likely to opt in? Aust N Z J Public Health 2018;42(2):219-20. doi: 10.1111/1753-6405.12764 [published Online First: 2018/02/15]
- Blakely T, Laugesen M, Symons R, et al. New Zealand cigarettes have a high nicotine content. N Z Public Health Report 1997;4(5):33-34.
- Hoek J, Gendall P, Eckert C, et al. Young adult susceptible non-smokers’ and smokers’ responses to capsule cigarettes. Tob Control 2019;28(5):498-505. doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2018-054470 [published Online First: 2018/10/05]
- Donny EC, Walker N, Hatsukami D, et al. Reducing the nicotine content of combusted tobacco products sold in New Zealand. Tob Control 2017;26(e1):e37-e42. doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2016-053186 [published Online First: 2016/09/28]
- Apelberg BJ, Feirman SP, Salazar E, et al. Potential Public Health Effects of Reducing Nicotine Levels in Cigarettes in the United States. N Engl J Med 2018;378(18):1725-33. doi: 10.1056/NEJMsr1714617 [published Online First: 2018/03/16]
- Benowitz NL, Donny EC, Edwards KC, et al. The Role of Compensation in Nicotine Reduction. Nicotine Tob Res 2019;21(Suppl 1):S16-S18. doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntz120 [published Online First: 2019/12/24]
- Food and Drug Administration. Tobacco Product Standard for Nicotine Level of Combusted Cigarettes 2018. Available at: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/03/16/2018-05345/tobacco-productstandard-for-nicotine-level-of-combusted-cigarettes.
- Chung-Hall J, Fong GT, Meng G, et al. Evaluating the impact of menthol cigarette bans on cessation and smoking behaviours in Canada: longitudinal findings from the Canadian arm of the 2016-2018 ITC Four Country Smoking and Vaping Surveys. Tob Control 2021 doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2020-056259 [published Online First: 2021/04/07]
- Gartner CE, Barendregt JJ, Hall WD. Predicting the future prevalence of cigarette smoking in Australia: how low can we go and by when? Tob Control 2009;18(3):183. doi: 10.1136/tc.2008.027615
- Edwards R, Peace J, Carter K, et al. An examination of smoking initiation rates by age: results from a large longitudinal study in New Zealand. Aust N Z J Public Health 2013;37(6):516-19.
- van der Deen FS, Wilson N, Cleghorn CL, et al. Impact of five tobacco endgame strategies on future smoking prevalence, population health and health system costs: two modelling studies to inform the tobacco endgame. Tob Control 2018;27(3):278-86. doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2016-053585 [published Online First: 2017/06/26]
- Gray RJ, Hoek J, Edwards R. A qualitative analysis of ‘informed choice’ among young adult smokers. Tob Control (ePub September 5, 2014) 2014 doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2014-051793
- Gifford H, Tautolo el S, Erick S, et al. A qualitative analysis of Maori and Pacific smokers’ views on informed choice and smoking. BMJ Open 2016;6(5):e011415. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-011415
- Wilson N, Edwards R, Weerasekera D. High levels of smoker regret by ethnicity and socioeconomic status: national survey data. N Z Med J 2009;122(1292):99-100. [published Online First: 2009/05/19]
- Gendall P, Hoek J, Maubach N, et al. Public support for more action on smoking N Z Med J 2013;126:85-94.
- ITC Project. Awareness and support for New Zealand’s Smokefree 2025 goal and key measures to achieve it. International Tobacco Control (ITC) New Zealand and ITC cross-country findings. Wellington: University of Otago and University of Waterloo, 2020.
- New Zealand Parliament. Inquiry into the tobacco industry in Aotearoa and the consequences of tobacco use for Māori. Report of the Māori Affairs Select Committee. Wellington: New Zealand Parliament 2010.
- Edwards R, Hoek J, Waa A. E-cigarettes, vaping and a Smokefree Aotearoa: where to next? N Z Med J 2020;133(1517):14-17.
- New Zealand Parliament. Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products (Vaping) Amendment Bill. Wellington: New Zealand Parliament 2020.
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.