- Shimizu K, Sridhar D, Taniguchi K, et al. Reconsider this summer’s Olympic and Paralympic games. BMJ 2021;373:n962. doi: 10.1136/bmj.n962
- Sparrow AK, Brosseau LM, Harrison RJ, et al. Protecting Olympic Participants from Covid-19 — The Urgent Need for a Risk-Management Approach. N Engl J Med 2021;385(1):e2. doi: 10.1056/NEJMp2108567
- Dalton CB, Taylor J. Is a COVID-safe Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics really possible? Med J Aust 2021; https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2021/covid-safe-tokyo-olympics-and-paralympics-really-possible [Preprint, 25 May 2021]
- McCurry J. Tokyo cornered into going ahead with Games, says Olympic official. The Guardian 2021 (4 June). Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/04/tokyo-cornered-into-going-ahead-with-games-says-olympic-official.
- Kim C-r, Sieg L. Japan Olympic Committee board member blasts Tokyo Games organisers. Reuters 2021 (4 June). Available from: https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/japan-olympic-committee-board-member-games-losing-meaning-too-late-cancel-2021-06-04/.
- Watanabe T, Yabu T. Japan’s voluntary lockdown. PLoS One 2021;16(6):e0252468-e68. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0252468
- Reality Check Team. Tokyo 2020: Does Japan have Covid under control? BBC News 2021 (20 July). Available from: https://www.bbc.com/news/57556978.
- The Government of Japan. Avoiding the Three Cs: A Key to Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 2020. [updated 24 December 2020]. Available from: https://www.japan.go.jp/kizuna/2020/avoiding_the_three_cs.html accessed 22 July 2021.
- Tokyo Olympics: Spectators largely barred as Covid emergency declared. BBC News 2021 (8 July). Available from: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57760883.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Consular Services: Border enforcement measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) 2021. [updated 28 June 2021]. Available from: https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html accessed 21 July 2021.
- Sekizuka T, Itokawa K, Hashino M, et al. A Genome Epidemiological Study of SARS-CoV-2 Introduction into Japan. mSphere 2020;5(6):e00786-20. doi: 10.1128/mSphere.00786-20
- No end in sight for third wave a year after COVID-19 made its way to Japan. The Japan Times 2021 (16 January). Available from: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/01/16/national/coronavirus-third-wave-japan/.
- Siripala T. Japan braces for looming ‘second wave’ amid dramatic spike in COVID-19 cases. The Diplomat 2020 (05 August). Available from: https://thediplomat.com/2020/08/japan-braces-for-looming-second-wave-amid-dramatic-spike-in-covid-19-cases/.
- Verrall A. Rapid Audit of Contact Tracing for Covid-19 in New Zealand. University of Otago, Wellington, New Zealand, 2020.
- Wada K. Rapid response to: Resurgence of covid-19 in Japan. BMJ 2020. Available from: https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3221/rr-2.
- Kuhn A. Struggling with third wave of infections, Japan extends state of emergency. NPR 2021 (2 February). Available from: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/02/02/963176884/struggling-with-third-wave-of-infections-japan-extends-state-of-emergency.
- Park J-m, Swift R. Caught off-guard by scant testing, Japan batterd by COVID winter. Reuters 2021 (15 January). Available from: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-japan/caught-off-guard-by-scant-testing-japan-battered-by-covid-winter-idUSKBN29K0AM.
- Our World in Data. Total COVID-10 tests per 1,000 people 2021. Available from: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-cumulative-total-tests-per-thousand?country=NZL~JPN accessed 22 July 2021.
- Cohen J. Japan’s Healthcare System Under Severe Strain, As 4th Wave of COVID-19 Poses Threat to Olympic Games. Forbes 2021 (24 May). Available from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2021/05/24/japans-healthcare-system-under-severe-strain-as-4th-wave-of-covid-19-poses-threat-to-olympic-games/?sh=4efd7a4cc575.
- ‘5th wave’ of COVID-19 cases feared in Tokyo and Osaka. The Asahi Shimbun 2021 (17 July). Available from: https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14397380.
- Siripala T. Will Japan’s Rapid COVID-19 rebound set back the Tokyo Olympics. The Diplomat 2021 (19 July). Available from: https://thediplomat.com/2021/07/will-japans-rapid-covid-19-rebound-set-back-the-tokyo-olympics/.
- Tokyo region sees signs of 5th COVID wave, cases at 6-month highs. Kyodo News 2021 (17 July). Available from: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/07/f7bb65337fb6-breaking-news-tokyo-reports-1410-new-coronavirus-cases-sat.html.
- Our World in Data. COVID-19: Daily new confirmed cases vs cumulative cases: Japan and New Zealand 2021. [updated 23 July 2021]. Available from: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-new-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-vs-cumulative-cases-positive-rate?yScale=linear&country=JPN~NZL accessed 24 July 2021.
- Statistics Bureau of Japan. Population Estimates: Monthly Report: Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications; 2021. Available from: https://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/jinsui/tsuki/index.html accessed 27 July 2021.
- Statistics New Zealand/Tatauranga Aotearoa. Estimated population of NZ Wellington, New Zealand 2021. Available from: https://www.stats.govt.nz/indicators/population-of-nz accessed 21 July 2021.
- Johns Hopkins University & Medicine. Japan – COVID-19 Overview 2021. [updated 19 July 2021]. Available from: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region/japan accessed 21 July 2021.
- Ministry of Health/Manatū Hauora. COVID-19: Vaccine data 2021. [updated 21 July 2021]. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-vaccine-data accessed 22 July 2021.
- Institute of Global Health Innovation. Global attitudes towards a COVID-19 vaccine. London 2021. Available from: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/institute-of-global-health-innovation/GlobalVaccineInsights_ICL-YouGov-Covid-19-Behaviour-Tracker_20210520_v2.pdf, accessed 20 July 2021.
- Hoang VT, Al-Tawfiq JA, Gautret P. The Tokyo Olympic Games and the Risk of COVID-19. Curr Trop Med Rep 2020:1-7. doi: 10.1007/s40475-020-00217-y
- Gautret P, Steffen R. Communicable diseases as health risks at mass gatherings other than Hajj: what is the evidence? Int J Infect Dis 2016;47(C):46-52. doi: 10.1016/j.ijid.2016.03.007
- Valtonen M, Waris M, Vuorinen T, et al. Common cold in Team Finland during 2018 Winter Olympic Games (PyeongChang): epidemiology, diagnosis including molecular point-of-care testing (POCT) and treatment. Br J Sports Med 2019;53(17):1093-98. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2018-100487
- Gardy JL, Naus M, Amlani A, et al. Whole-Genome Sequencing of Measles Virus Genotypes H1 and D8 During Outbreaks of Infection Following the 2010 Olympic Winter Games Reveals Viral Transmission Routes. J Infect Dis 2015;212(10):1574-78. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiv271
- Soligard T, Steffen K, Palmer-Green D, et al. Sports injuries and illnesses in the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. Br J Sports Med 2015;49(7):441-47. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2014-094538
- Soligard T, Steffen K, Palmer D, et al. Sports injury and illness incidence in the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Summer Games: A prospective study of 11274 athletes from 207 countries. Br J Sports Med 2017;51(17):1265-71. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2017-097956
- Kim D-S, Lee Y-H, Bae KS, et al. PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympic Games and athletes’ usage of ‘polyclinic’ medical services. BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med 2019;5(1):e000548-e48. doi: 10.1136/bmjsem-2019-000548
- Winsor M. What are the COVID rules at the Olympics, from spectators to vaccinations? ABC News 2021 (11 July). Available from: https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/covid-19-rules-tokyo-olympics-spectators-banned-vaccination/story?id=78225985.
- Sturmer J, Asada Y. The Tokyo Olympics will take place in a coronavirus bubble, but weak poits are already on display. ABC News 2021 (21 July). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-21/olympics-arrivals-were-not-always-coronavirus-safe/100304564.
- Tokyo Olympics: First Covid cases in athletes’ village as Team GB athletes cleared to resume training. BBC Sport 2021 (19 July). Available from: https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/57844406.
- The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Covid-19 Positive Case List (From 1 July Onwards). 2021. Available from: https://gtimg.tokyo2020.org/image/upload/production/q2rvovu7ese7eqdzr9iw.pdf, accessed 27 July 2021.
- Morgan L. IOC sends warning over COVID-19 rule breaches after maskless marchers spotted at Opening Ceremont. Inside the Games 2021 (24 July). Available from: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1110686/ioc-warn-covid19-breaches-masks-ceremony.
- Taku K, Arai H. Impact of COVID-19 on Athletes and Coaches, and Their Values in Japan: Repercussions of Postponing the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games. J Loss Trauma 2020;25(8):623-30. doi: 10.1080/15325024.2020.1777762
- Our World in Data. Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations 2021. [updated 29 July 2021]. Available from: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations accessed 29 July 2021.
- Keh A. Olympians enter a risky new event: Line jumping. New York Times 2021 (28 February). Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/28/sports/olympics/tokyo-olympics-vaccines.html.
- Durkee A. Australia and France are the latest countries to prioritize Olympic athletes for Covid-19 vaccine. Forbes 2021 (27 April). Available from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2021/04/27/australia-and-france-are-the-latest-countries-to-prioritize-olympic-athletes-for-covid-19-vaccine/?sh=70f961f377fe.
- Johnson S. Here’s what we know about the Indian Delta COVID-19 variant detected in Victoria’s outbreak. ABC News 2021 (4 June). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-04/what-do-we-know-about-delta-kappa-covid-variants/100190414.
- Lacobucci G. Covid-19: Single vaccine dose is 33% effective against variant from India, data show. BMJ 2021;373:n1346. doi: 10.1136/bmj.n1346
- Robinson J. Australian Open to close doors to fans after new covid outbreak. The Wall Street Journal 2021 (12 February). Available from: https://www.wsj.com/articles/australian-open-to-close-doors-to-fans-after-new-covid-outbreak-11613125887.
- Watson A, Westcott B. After weeks of drama and setbacks, the Australian Open kicks off. CNN 2021 (8 February). Available from: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/07/tennis/australian-open-coronavirus-sport-intl-hnk/index.html.
- Australian Open lead-up events thrown into chaos after hotel worker tests positive for COVID-19. ABC News 2021 (4 February). Available from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-04/australian-open-lead-ups-thrown-into-chaos-covid-positive/13119702.
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Public Health Expert Briefing
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.