- Ministry of Health. Smokefree Aotearoa 2025. Wellington: Ministry of Health, 2021.
- Edwards R, Hoek J, Waa A, Thomson G, Wilson N. Progress towards a Smokefree Aotearoa 2025 Action Plan: Congratulations to the Government. Wellington: Public Health Expert: University of Otago, 2021.
- Thomson G, Wilson N. Local and regional smokefree and tobacco-free action in New Zealand: highlights and directions. N Z Med J 2017;130:89-101.
- Ivory V, Blakely T, Richardson K, Thomson G, Carter K. Do changes in neighbourhood and household levels of smoking and deprivation result in changes in individual smoking behavior? A large-scale longitudinal study of New Zealand adults. Am J Epidemiol 2015;182:431-40. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwv097.
- Zablocki RW, Edland SD, Myers MG, Strong DR, Hofstetter CR, Al-Delaimy WK. Smoking ban policies and their influence on smoking behaviors among current California smokers: a population-based study. Prev Med 2014;59:73-8.
- Chaiton M, Diemert L, Zhang B, Kennedy RD, Cohen JE, Bondy SJ, Ferrence R. Exposure to smoking on patios and quitting: a population representative longitudinal cohort study. Tob Control 2016;25:83-8.
- Wilson N, Oliver J, Thomson G. Ten years of a national law covering smoke-free school grounds: a brief review. Tob Control 2016;25:122.
- van der Deen FS, Pearson AL, Petrovic D, Collinson L. Exploring the potential for the drift of secondhand smoke from outdoor to indoor dining areas of restaurants in New Zealand. N Z Med J 2014;127:43-52.
- Edwards R, Wilson N. Smoking outdoors at pubs and bars: is it a problem? An air quality study. N Z Med J 2011;124(1347):27-37.
- Wilson N, Edwards R, Parry R. A persisting secondhand smoke hazard in urban public places: results from fine particulate (PM2.5) air sampling. N Z Med J 2011;124(1330):34-47.
- Wilson N, Delany L, Thomson GW. Smokefree laws and hospitality settings: an example from New Zealand of a deficient approach. Tob Control 2020;29:460.
- Grace C. Legislation to ban smoking in public spaces. In Scollo, MM and Winstanley, MH [editors]. Tobacco in Australia: Facts and issues. Melbourne: Cancer Council Victoria, 2019.
- Trappitt R, Li J, Peck R, Tu D. Acceptability of smoking in public places – Health and Lifestyles Surveys 2008-2010 [In Fact]. Wellington: Health Sponsorship Council, 2011.
- Wyllie A. Public support for tobacco control policies in the Auckland Council region [full version]. Auckland: Cancer Society Auckland Division, 2013.
- Thomson G, Wilson N, Weerasekera D, Edwards R. Strong smoker interest in ‘setting example to children’ by quitting: national survey data. Aust N Z J Public Health 2010;35:81-4.
- Wilson N, Blakely T, Edwards R, Weerasekera D, Thomson G. Support by New Zealand smokers for new types of smokefree areas: national survey data. N Z Med J 2009;122(1303):80-9.
- Wellington City Council Research and Evaluation team. Attitudes towards smoking in Wellington: Report on the 2015 smoke-free survey. Wellington: Wellington City Council, 2015.
- O’Connor D. All New Zealanders to benefit from significant new smoke free legislation [Media release by Associate Minister of Health]. Wellington: New Zealand Government, 2003.
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.