- Gilpin BJ, Walker T, Paine S, Sherwood J, Mackereth G, Wood T et al. A large scale waterborne Campylobacteriosis outbreak, Havelock North, New Zealand. Journal of Infection. 2020;81(3):390-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinf.2020.06.065
- Wilson B, Jones N, Wood T, Jagroop-Dearing A, Kubovy J, Baker MG. Clinical outcomes of campylobacteriosis: a case series analysis of hospitalisations associated with the Havelock North Campylobacter outbreak. The New Zealand Medical Journal. 2021;134(1547):71-84.
- Department of Internal Affairs. Government inquiry into Havelock North drinking water report of the Havelock North Drinking Water Inquiry: Stage 2. Auckland (NZL)2017. Accessed 11 Feb 2020. https://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/Files/Report-Havelock-North-Water-Inquiry-Stage-2/$file/Report-Havelock-North-Water-Inquiry-Stage-2.pdf.
- Department of Internal Affairs. Three Waters Review: Te Tari Tawhenua. Wellington (NZL): Department of Internal Affairs;2020. Accessed 11 Feb 2021. https://www.dia.govt.nz/Three-waters-review.
- New Zealand Parliament. Water Services Entities Bill. Wellington (NZL)2022. Accessed 19 Jul 2022. https://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/government/2022/0136/latest/whole.html?search=sw_096be8ed81c2922d_priv_25_se&p=1#LMS671870.
- Ball A. Estimation of the burden of water-borne disease in New Zealand: preliminary report. Wellington (NZL): Ministry of Health;2006. Accessed 20 Dec 2021. https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/water-borne-disease-burden-prelim-report-feb07-v2.pdf
- Taumata Arowai. Drinking Water Regulation Report 2021. Wellington (NZL): Taumata Arowai;2022. Accessed 19 Jul 2022. https://www.taumataarowai.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Governance-docs/Drinking-Water-Regulation-Report-2021.pdf.
- ESR. Archived dataset from Ministry of Health’s Priority Two Chemical Determinands Identification Programme 1995-2004. Christchurch (NZL): Institute of Environmental Science and Research;2019. Accessed 10 Mar 2019.
- Ministry of Health. Annual Report on drinking-water quality. Wellington (NZL): Ministry of Health;2020. Accessed 25 Feb 2021. https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/annual-report-drinking-water-quality-2018-2019-25june2020.pdf.
- Uwins-England H, McKenzie J. Review of health response into Waikouaiti water supply lead contamination. Wellington (NZL)2021. Accessed 19 Jul 2022. https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/final-report-health-response-into-waikouaiti-water-supply-lead-contamination31mar2021.pdf.
- Chambers T, Hales S, Wilson N, Baker M. Improvements to drinking water monitoring, reporting and record-keeping needed to protect health. Policy Quarterly. 2022;18(23-27). https://ojs.victoria.ac.nz/pq/article/view/7571/6727.
- Hales S, Black W, Skelly C, Salmond C, Weinstein P. Social deprivation and the public health risks of community drinking water supplies in New Zealand. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2003;57(8):581. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.57.8.581
- Department of Internal Affairs. Regulatory Impact Assessment: Decision on the reform of three waters service delivery arrangements. Wellington (NZL): Department of Internal Affairs;2022. Accessed 19 Jul 2022. https://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/Files/Three-waters-reform-programme-2022/$file/regulatory-impact-assessment-decision-on-the-reform-of-three-waters-service-delivery-arrangements.pdf.
- Water Industry Commission for Scotland. Economic analysis of water services aggregation. Scotland (UK): Water Industry Commission for Scotland;2021. Accessed 19 Jul 2022. https://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/Files/Three-waters-reform-programme/$file/wics-final-report-economic-analysis-of-water-services-aggregation.pdf.
- Water New Zealand. Strategy aims to address Three Waters workforce shortage. Water New Zealand;2022. Accessed 19 Jul 2022. https://www.waternz.org.nz/News-and-Events/Story?Action=View&Story_id=1663.
- Chambers T, Douwes J, t Mannetje A, Woodward A, Baker M, Wilson N et al. Nitrate in drinking water and cancer risk: the biological mechanism, epidemiological evidence and future research. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Public Health. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1111/1753-6405.13222
- Richards J, Chambers T, Hales S, Joy MK, Radu T, Woodward A et al. Nitrate contamination in drinking water and colorectal cancer: exposure assessment and estimated health burden in New Zealand. Environmental Research. 2022;204(112322). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2021.112322
- Trezise J, Vowles J, Moody G, Dowsett J. Commitments to equality in Te Tiriti mean co-governance. online: Newsroom;2022. Accessed 19 Jul 2022. https://www.newsroom.co.nz/commitments-to-equality-in-te-tiriti-mean-co-governance.
- Fisher K, Parsons M. River co-governance and co-management in Aotearoa New Zealand: enabling Indigenous ways of knowing and being. Transnational Environmental Law. 2020;9(3):455-480.
- United Nations General Assembly. Resolution 64/292: The human right to water and sanitation. Geneva (CHE): United Nations;2010. Accessed 17 Feb 2021. https://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/64/292.
- United Nations General Assembly. Transforming our world: The 2030 agenda for sustainable development. Geneva (CHE): United Nations;2015. Accessed 15 Mar 2021. https://sdgs.un.org/sites/default/files/publications/21252030%20Agenda%20for%20Sustainable%20Development%20web.pdf.
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.