- GBD Tobacco Collaborators. Spatial, temporal, and demographic patterns in prevalence of smoking tobacco use and attributable disease burden in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019. Lancet. 2021;(E-publication 31 May).
- Blakely T, Disney G, Valeri L, Atkinson J, Teng A, Wilson N, et al. Socioeconomic and Tobacco Mediation of Ethnic Inequalities in Mortality over Time: Repeated Census-mortality Cohort Studies, 1981 to 2011. Epidemiology. 2018;29(4):506-516.
- Teng A, Blakely T, Atkinson J, Kalediene R, Leinsalu M, Martikainen PT, et al. Changing social inequalities in smoking, obesity and cause-specific mortality: Cross-national comparisons using compass typology. PLoS One. 2020;15(7):e0232971.
- Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation. GHDx (Global Health Data Exchange); Results for New Zealand (on 24 May 2021). Seattle; Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation. http://ghdx.healthdata.org/gbd-results-tool.
- Ministry of Health. Proposals for a Smokefree Aotearoa 2025 Action Plan: Discussion document. Wellington: Ministry of Health 2021. https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/proposals_for_a_smokefree_aotearoa_2025_action_plan-final.pdf
- Edwards R, Hoek J, Waa A. E-cigarettes, vaping and a Smokefree Aotearoa: where to next? N Z Med J. 2020;133(1517):14-17.
- Hoek J, Wilson N, Edwards R, Waa A. New e-liquid flavour restrictions: Potential impacts on young people and people who smoke. Public Health Expert Blog 2021;(10 August). https://blogs.otago.ac.nz/pubhealthexpert/new-e-liquid-flavour-restrictions-potential-impacts-on-young-people-and-people-who-smoke/#more-15019.
- Wilson N, Summers JA, Ait Ouakrim D, Hoek J, Edwards R, Blakely T. Improving on estimates of the potential relative harm to health from using modern ENDS (vaping) compared to tobacco smoking. BMC Public Health. 2021;21(1):2038.
- Blakely T, Cobiac LJ, Cleghorn CL, Pearson AL, van der Deen FS, Kvizhinadze G, et al. Health, health inequality, and cost impacts of annual increases in tobacco tax: Multistate life table modeling in New Zealand. PLoS Med. 2015;12(7):e1001856.
- Summers JA, Ait Ouakrim D, Wilson N, Blakely T. Updated Health and Cost Impacts of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems, Using Recent Estimates of Relative Harm for Vaping Compared to Smoking. Nicotine Tob Res. 2021;ntab178, https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntab178.
- Petrović-van der Deen FS, Wilson N, Crothers A, Cleghorn CL, Gartner C, Blakely T. Potential country-level health and cost impacts of legalizing domestic sale of vaporized nicotine products. Epidemiol. 2019;30:396-404.
- Wilson N, Hoek J, Nghiem N, Summers J, Grout L, Edwards R. Preliminary High-Level Modelling Estimates of Impacts of Denicotinisation on Smoking Prevalence in Aotearoa New Zealand. medRxiv 2021.08.13.21262035; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.08.13.21262035
- Edwards R, Hoek J, Wilson N, Bullen C. Reducing nicotine in smoked tobacco products: A pivotal feature of the proposals for achieving Smokefree Aotearoa 2025. Public Health Expert 2021;(30 April). https://blogs.otago.ac.nz/pubhealthexpert/reducing-nicotine-in-smoked-tobacco-products-a-pivotal-feature-of-the-proposals-for-achieving-smokefree-aotearoa-2025/.
- van der Deen FS, Wilson N, Cleghorn CL, Kvizhinadze G, Cobiac LJ, Nghiem N, et al. Impact of five tobacco endgame strategies on future smoking prevalence, population health and health system costs: two modelling studies to inform the tobacco endgame. Tob Control. 2018;27(3):278-286.
- Petrović-van der Deen FS, Blakely T, Kvizhinadze G, Cleghorn CL, Cobiac LJ, Wilson N. Restricting tobacco sales to only pharmacies combined with cessation advice: a modelling study of the future smoking prevalence, health and cost impacts. Tob Control. 2019;28(6):643-650.
- Robertson L, Hoek J, Edwards R, Petrović-van der Deen F, Thomson G, Marsh L. Reducing tobacco retail availability: how could this be achieved and what evidence supports the NZ Government’s proposals? Public Health Expert 2021;(6 May). https://blogs.otago.ac.nz/pubhealthexpert/reducing-tobacco-retail-availability-how-could-this-be-achieved-and-what-evidence-supports-the-nz-governments-proposals/.
- Edwards R, Marsh L, Robertson L, Petrović-van der Deen F, Wilson N, Hoek J. A Smokefree Aotearoa – could making tobacco products available only through community pharmacies help us get there? Public Health Expert 2021;(12 August). https://blogs.otago.ac.nz/pubhealthexpert/a-smokefree-aotearoa-could-making-tobacco-products-available-only-through-community-pharmacies-help-us-get-there/.
- Cochran C, Robertson L, Hoek J. Online marketing activity following New Zealand’s vaping legislation. Tob Control. 2021.
- Robertson L, Hoek J, Gilmore A, Edwards R, Waa A. Regulating vaping and new nicotine products: Are tobacco companies’ goals aligned with public health objectives? Public Health Expert Blog 2020;(27 March). https://blogs.otago.ac.nz/pubhealthexpert/regulating-vaping-and-new-nicotine-products-are-tobacco-companies-goals-aligned-with-public-health-objectives/.
About the Briefing
Public health expert commentary and analysis on the challenges facing Aotearoa New Zealand and evidence-based solutions.
Get the latest insights from the public health research community delivered straight to your inbox for free. Subscribe to stay up to date with the latest research, analysis and commentary from the Public Health Expert Briefing.